Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My college conundrum


Colleges don’t care about me.
You want to know how I know this?

Being a senior in high school, I am bombarded with mail from random colleges all over the United States every week. I get mail ranging from Colorado to New Hampshire wanting my attention to look at their college. I am, after all, ‘important’ to their success and they tell me that I would be a great benefit to their establishment.

Not once do I believe what they say and I toss the mail into the trash. Why (other than the fact that I’ve already made up my mind)?

Their lies appear on the front of the envelopes, and that would be how they incorrectly spell my name.

Ever since I was little I’ve had trouble with people spelling my name correctly. I agree, it is a little weird. How many names end in ‘-eigh’ right? But when colleges try to contact me they should be able to spell my name right. Not only is it the sensible thing to do but it’s also a polite gesture.

I’m used to my name being spelled ‘Carley’, ‘Carlei’, or ‘Carly’ by strangers. However, not too long ago, I received mail with my name spelled ‘Carlile’. No, dear college from somewhere I’ve never heard of, I’m not a man. Also, not too long ago I received mail with my name spelt ‘Garleigh’.

Garleigh? Seriously?

‘Garleigh’ was the last straw that convinced me that colleges don’t really care about me. They send me postcards with fonts screaming ‘Senior Days!’, and they expect me to pay attention when I’m too irritated with the fact that they spelt my name wrong? You’ve got to be kidding me.   

So, for those of you seniors this year who have common and ordinary names, be thankful for being plain and simple. At least you’ll pay attention of the ‘convincing’ words that colleges tell you.  

- Carleigh Albers, senior Viking Mirror co-editor 

2 comments: