Thursday, December 8, 2011

I wish you a Merry Christmas not Happy Holidays

By  Katie Kisor

          The smell of eggnog and Christmas cookies fill the air with their enticing smells, Christmas trees everywhere shining brightly. Everyone singing excited for the holidays and the time to be with their family and friends.
Imagine two voices, one that cries Happy Holidays! And another that says Merry Christmas! I don’t know about you, but I like the sound of Merry Christmas more than I do the sound of Happy Holidays. I grew up listening to everyone say Merry Christmas. Why can’t we say it now?
On a poll at ABC news said that there are only 4% of people are non- Christian and 13% of people that have no religion at all.  So with a grand total of the United States 83% are Christian and celebrate Christmas. So why must we be quiet when it comes to Christmas? Why can’t we decorate with Merry Christmas, when we are the majority?
“I have been told where I work that I can decorate but I can not use the words "Merry Christmas." When I asked why I was told those words might offend someone,” Chris Jeffery of Belleville said. “I believe our government is incorrect in thinking that anyone would be offended by the words "Merry Christmas."
When we are the majority of the country and we celebrate Christmas we stay quiet so we don’t offend anyone and yet the government are being hypocritical.
"When I got the card from President Bush, it didn't mean that much to me," Catholic League president Bill Donohue said. "I figured that's what most presidents did. Then I found that I was wrong. Everybody from F.D.R. to Bush's father had at least one card every year while they were in office that said Merry Christmas."
I think it is time to get rid of “Happy Holidays” and go back to “Merry Christmas.” After all tis the season to be jolly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment