Friday, November 12, 2010

Beasley makes her mark on Smoky Valley

Smoky Valley has found itself a brand new face thanks to junior Shelley Beasley.

The Viking was revealed on Nov. 5. The presentation started with a short informative speech by superintendent Mr.Glenn Suppes about what the school district was looking for in a new logo. Then students were presented with an anticipating video composed by Mitchell Suppes, junior. 

The finalists were kept secret until the revealing. Imagine the surprise Beasley got when she saw her drawing projected across the screen to her and her fellow peers.

“I honestly thought I was going to lose. I had given up by the time of reveal,” Beasley said. 

The contest idea was originally released in September when the school found out that their previous design was already copyrighted by Augustana college.

“When I heard there was a Viking mascot contest I decided I had some time, so I thought I should do it,” Beasley said. “I sat down and tried to draw something out and all I knew is that I wanted it to be circular. So I drew a circle and nothing came out. The next morning I woke up and took a shower and the idea hit me. When I got to art class I drew the first initial Viking.”

A secret committee selected the logo. After Beasley sent in her drawing she received it back with a few revisions and critiques.

“I was really stubborn and didn’t want to change it, but Mrs. Elliott urged me to do so. My second design is pretty close to the Viking that we have today,” Beasley said.

Not only is Beasley happy about winning, but students are also pleased with the design.

“I think it’ll push our school more into the future and make us look more intimidating. It’ll give our school more of an identity,” Mary Linder, freshman, said.

“I’m permanently making my mark on this high school for years to come;” Beasley said. “My name is going to be attached to the Viking. How many kids get to say that?”

- Carleigh Albers, senior co-editor

No comments:

Post a Comment