Tuesday, October 18, 2011

By Emily Writer 


  Tuesday, as you may have noticed, cell phone service was hard to come by. In every class I went to, I listened to my fellow students complain that they were unable to send a text, check Facebook, or even send a tweet. 
    While I understand why some people may have been upset, it soon became a bit excessive. If these students had been trying to use their phones for something important, then I may have actually felt bad for them. Instead, however, the majority of these students were simply trying to communicate with someone across the building. Is it really that hard to pull up your email and type, like on an actual computer keyboard? Well, apparently so, because the complaining didn't stop.
     Another thing that I would like to mention is the fact that phones technically aren't even allowed in school. Should it really be that big of a deal that something you aren't supposed to be using during school isn't working? I can't pretend I don't use my phone during class, but if my phone doesn't have service, then I just deal with it.
     Phones aren't supposed to be used in school anyway, so maybe instead of acting like the world is ending, students should take advantage of not having service and actually try being productive for once. School is supposed to be an opportunity to get an education and prepare for our future, and while that line may be overused, take a minute and think about it.
    In 20 years, will you even talk to half of the friends you have now? Probably not, you will be busy focused on your life, your job, and your family. The people you knew and the things you did in high school will merely be memories, but the education you received will actually help you out.
     Sure, cellphones are great to have, and there are times during class when you will want or need to use them, but be careful to make sure you don't overuse them. Just owning a phone and being in school makes you a very privileged person, so try not to abuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment